Friday, September 2, 2011

Glad I missed that one!

I had Saturday August 27th off so I could go see my favorite theater's midnight showing of "Road House". I was doubly glad that I didn't have to work that day since a Pop-Country singer was making an appearance at my store. (I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I despise Pop Country, or Cuntry for short.)  I was triply glad I wasn't there after I heard on Sunday what a clusterfuck Saturday night ended up being. A lot of stuff had to be moved into our room to make room for the performer's area, it was a two-truck night, and my crew got a late start on the unloading. This particular singer is now a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, seven people were hired for my crew in August, excluding our new lead, who seems to be an alright guy. Of the seven, only two are still working with us. Two other people moved to 3rd shift stocking, and the last three either quit or got fired. Besides those people, we've also had one person get fired, and two people move to 3rd shift. I'm not great at math, but from what I understand, we basically have as many (non-management) people now as we did at the beginning of August. Smooth! On the upside, if you count our lead guy, we actually gained one person.

One of the books I bought when I went to Borders was the Tenth Anniversary Edition of Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America. I had the original hardcover, but wanted to get this new edition since it had a new Afterword. This book is an absolute Must Read! I had forgotten that it had a whole chapter dedicated to my current employer, and I realized that it was one of the reasons why I resisted getting a job there for so long.

Despite my anxiety mentioned in my previous post, the thought of working at my current job for much longer, or even at Main ex-Employer's warehouse no matter how much I liked it there, makes the idea of going to school more and more attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment