Friday, January 18, 2013

Observing personal anniversaries

This part was written around January 11/12th:
It was looking pretty scary last week, but I didn't have to work overtime last weekend, nor did I have to this weekend. Somewhere down the road, I'd like to update my resume and what I call my "application cheat sheet" so I can look for another job. But since my typically clutter-rific room turned into a fucking mess during the peak season, I've spent part of my past couple of weekends trying to straighten it up.

My car should be paid off in either February or March, and if I get a tax refund this year, it will go toward paying some debts. The realist in me thinks I should continue living at home so I can pay off my last debt quicker, but my other side is screaming for me to move out. I'm not saying that I won't be able to pay that last debt every month, just that it would be more like paying the bare minimum living on my own as opposed to being able to pay double that or more at home. So, I'm kinda hoping to move out in the late Spring. I just hope I'm not in a position again where I end up out of a job and have to move back home.

This part was written on January 15th and 17/18th:
It looked like overtime was a possibility for this weekend, but that turned out not to be the case.

I've been thinking a lot about anniversaries. It seems like those anniversaries that end with a 5 or a 0 tend to be the most observed. 2012 was the 10th anniversary of a lot of my last holidays in Austin, the most significant being Halloween, my birthday, and New Year's Eve. And it was the 10th anniversary of my last Christmas visiting Kentucky as an Austinite. 2012 was also the fifth anniversary of my last visit to Austin. I was hoping to visit again sometime over the past five years, but getting laid off kind of fucked that up. While there are more fun things to do in Austin than in Louisville, the only time I feel any urgency to move back is during the Winter months. I think that if I were to move back to Austin, it would be nice to have the income and time to really enjoy Austin. You know, like getting to see all the movies I want to see, especially those that might not even make it to Louisville, and going to concerts. 2013 marks the 15th anniversary of my moving to Austin, the 10th anniversary of my last New Year's Day in Austin and moving back to Kentucky, and the fifth anniversary of 2008, the first in a series of Years From Hell.

Wait, 2008 was five years ago? God damn! Compared to 2008, I feel like I've got a better handle on some things, but on other things I'm even more confused. Namely, I'm even less confident in deciding what I would want to do for a career. But on the other hand, I seem to have gotten good at not trying to please people who probably don't give a shit about me, and at not getting too attached to coworkers.

I just realized that next January 1st will be the fifth anniversary of my sister's death. I still haven't quite gotten used to life in the post-sister era.

No comments:

Post a Comment