Friday, February 25, 2011

LOVE STINKS! Yeah Yeah...

One of the consequences of having been laid off has been the lack of a social life. Not like I ever really had much of one except during the prime years of Louisville Mojo, but when I was gainfully employed I could at least afford to go out when I wanted to, work schedule or weather permitting. I hardly even worried about gas when I had a steady income and a "home away from home" in Louisville, but these days the simple act of driving makes me feel like I'm spending money. I do try to get out of the house once or twice a week, but that's not nearly enough. Being broke also means I can forget about dating.

I can think of too many reasons why I've been single my entire life, so I'm just going to go into the main reason I'm single now. Being unemployed hurts men on the dating front in two ways: one, you're too broke to take somebody out. And two, women don't like unemployed guys, especially ones who live with their parents, no matter the circumstances. I haven't tried contacting anybody on OKCupid since last Summer. The last girl that I talked to on there ultimately rejected me for that very reason, despite the fact that she was also unemployed and in the process of moving in with her parents. See, it's a fucking double standard! So, while I am available, I've essentially taken myself off the market. It really sucks feeling like I can do nothing but stand by while I watch too many of my female friends get paired off, some of them even getting married.

I actually would like to start dating again, but until I find a job that's guaranteed to last more than one or two months, or go to school (whichever comes first), I don't see it happening. There are far worse things than being single, but it would be nice to have a female to go out and do fun stuff with.

I guess I could go over another reason why I've been single. I've never been able to make good use of the window whenever it's been open. (Stuff like that is why I love "How I Met Your Mother.") When someone of interest who had been unavailable becomes available, you don't want to pounce right away, but at the same time you don't wait too long and take a chance on someone else moving in on her. Man, this hurts my brain...ANEURYSM! The last time the window opened for someone that I was crazy for, an ex-coworker, I really did try to get myself in there, but she was always too busy hanging out with other people. The window wasn't open very long. She ended up hooking up with one of her ex-coworkers, a big ogre of a dude who I never would have imagined her being with. They've been together ever since.

There's a part in the Slayer song Divine Intervention that for some odd reason makes me think of two people having sex, it comes in at about the 1:23 mark. I got to thinking recently that one of my ideas of Hell would be being forced to watch "the ones that got away" having sex with their significant others. Actually, if the s.o. happens to be a woman, then that could possibly be Heaven. :)

2 comments:

  1. If I had any single friends, I'd totally hook you up.

    All I can do is this:

    I tagged you in 7 Facts award. If you want to play along, check it out here:
    http://www.myblogisboring.com/2011/02/tag-im-it.html. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete