Friday, February 18, 2011

What have I gotten myself into?

I can't believe I did it. I paid for a Lifetime Membership for Louisville Mojo, my former favorite social networking/now dating site. I don't feel like going into the whole story of the rise and fall of Louisville Mojo*, but I will say that the site has been dying a slow, painful death for the past six years. Last April, they decided to become a dating site where you had to pay to be able to see profiles and read or send messages to members. The only thing that non-members could do was post in the Forums, which for a lot of people in my circle was the main attraction of Mojo. Women who were members as of that date got an entire year free, while the men only got two weeks free. I never had a girlfriend during the six years that I had been on Mojo at that point, and I knew my broke ass wasn't getting hooked up anytime soon either, so why bother paying? A friend gave me a month's membership as a gift just a few days after my two weeks expired. As long as I was able to use the forums, I was okay with not paying.

Last September, they decided that non-paying members could read the forums, but not post. In October, they decided that non-paying members couldn't even read the forum threads after the mods and admins spent too much time deleting the fake profiles of some douchebag ex-forum poster and his girlfriend who were stinking up the forums. I was highly pissed off.

In November, some of my friends and forum posters had a get-together. There were a couple of threads that spawned from that event that piqued my interest, and on my birthday I decided to treat myself to a month-long membership. The Lifetime membership is only $25 more than what you'd pay for a month, but I had better things to spend that extra $25 on. For a while, I had been on the fence about whether to bother keeping a profile, but I figured that as long as there were people on there willing to meet up occasionally, I'd stick around. Soon after that month was up, I paid for another month. And another month. My previous membership was set to expire on February 17th, so I had to decide whether I was going to pay up again or not. I was still hesitant to get a lifetime membership since a lifetime membership to a dating site just seems silly, not to mention the Forums have gotten even slower**. But since I just paid $60 to participate for the past three months, I figured that a $45 investment would pay off if Mojo survives another three months. So I took the plunge. And now I'm feeling a bit goofy for it.


*I'll probably just copy and paste one of my "Rise And Fall Of Louisville Mojo" style entries from my old blog to tell the story.

**Honestly, I don't have a lot to say these days, and therefore have nothing to contribute to the forums. And as the old saying goes, "If you're not part of the solution..."

No comments:

Post a Comment