Sunday, April 3, 2011

The first weekend of April, 2011

I started this month off in style, namely watching one of my favorite bad movies, "The Room", on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I was mostly curious to see if they were going to cut or censor it. The first thing I noticed was that they rated it TV-MA. They showed it uncut, but not uncensored, covering up the naughty bits with black boxes and bleeping out some of the dirtier words. The blocking out of naughty bits actually isn't a bad thing since the naughty bits in this movie are likely to traumatize you. The black boxes were used to hilarious effect at times, sometimes covering the entire screen. There were a couple of times where I felt that the black boxes weren't needed, like when Michelle goes down on that one dude (I don't remember even seeing her head bob up and down or anything), and when (SPOILER ALERT, not like you really need it) Johnny puts the gun in his mouth.(END SPOILER ALERT) After all, this is being shown after midnight on cable, why even bother giving it a TV-MA if you're going to censor it so hard? You might as well have given it a TV-14.

My one April Fool's Day prank was the same one I pulled last year, changing my relationship status on Facebook from Single to In a relationship. The people at Facebook evidently aren't believers in the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", because among many things that they've fucked up, they made the relationship status change thing harder to find. Anyway, at least one guy called my bluff, while six of my female friends seemed convinced that I really was hooked up, and "Liked" the change. (Sorry Natalie!)

Saturday, I went to a cook out in Floyd's Knobs, Indiana, which is quite a drive for me. I mostly went for the chocolate/peanut butter cupcakes, which were scrumptious.  I watched the Kentucky game while I was there. I eventually made it to Third Street Dive, but missed the band I came there to see. I thought they were going to play last, but they actually played first. I think I had too many hot dogs because I was still burping up the hot dog taste when I went to bed.

Sunday was a warm and sunny yet WINDY day. I figured I had made enough trips to Louisville in the past few days, but also figured that it was too nice a day to stay home, especially since there were supposed to be some bad storms on Monday. I didn't bother to invite anybody out since my plans are so spur of the moment, and therefore I can't give much notice, so I mostly just sat outside a coffee shop patio and did some reading. Some company would have been nice, but I did see some amusing things, like dudes in muscle cars look and sound like they were trying to race each other on a street that's not conducive to racing. In fact, it was probably more like a game of Chicken.

One thing I observed while at the cook out on Saturday is how amazed I am that people can just talk, and talk, and talk. Most of the subjects had to do with kids, neighbors, neighbor kids, schools, etc. I have no kids, and could give two shits about anybody else in the neighborhood, therefore I don't have much to talk about, except for music, movies, and various personal anecdotes that their conversations remind me of.

The NCAA tournament is almost over. I was bummed that Louisville lost, but happy that Morehead went on to the second round. I was disappointed that neither Morehead nor Texas made it far. I'm proud of Kentucky for making it to the Final Four. It will be nice if this year's Freshmen decide to stick around another year or two instead of bolting to the NBA, then Kentucky really will be a force to be reckoned with. I was glad to see Duke and Kansas get knocked out. I think I dislike Kansas mostly because I think "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" sounds lame, plus I have a Facebook friend who kept saying that, but also because they're a conference rival of Texas. I don't know why I dislike Duke, since I'm not one of those UK fans who are still bitter over something that happened 19 years ago. I can say that seeing them beat Butler for the championship last year felt anticlimactic. Some of the hardcore Louisville fans who were happy to see Kentucky lose crack me up, because they don't really have a leg to stand on. Sure, Kentucky didn't win it all, and they got beat by a team in Louisville's conference who UL beat twice, but UK did hand UL their ass to them earlier in the season at the YUM Center when they were a poor Away team, and UK didn't get beat in the first round by a #8 seed who got beat in the next round. Face it UL fans, I don't really like the "shit talking" portion of UK fans any more than you do, but they did earn the bragging rights for this season. So who am I rooting for in the final game? I tend to root for the underdog, so I'm rooting for Butler. I tend to like teams for their mascots sometimes, and since I like Huskies, I really can't hate on UCONN too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment