Saturday, April 23, 2011

The week in Overwhelmed-ness

I was either so overwhelmed or busy this week that I didn't have much time to write. I was a nervous wreck due to my dad's pestering about finding a job. I felt kind of like Bruce Banner, just looking for some peace and quiet, but unable to get it because General Ross and his "Hulkbusters" won't leave him alone, leading him to Hulk out and smash shit up.

Tuesday morning, I went to a well publicized hiring event at a fast food restaurant. I filled out an application, took a little test, and had a mini-interview.

Wednesday morning, I got a call from the restaurant asking if I could come in that afternoon to do an interview. I got there a couple of minutes early and told somebody at the register that I was there for an interview, then she said that she'd let the manager know that I was there, and to have a seat. A half hour passes, and I go back up to the register to let them know that I had been waiting a half hour, and after a couple of minutes I finally get to do the interview. The manager told me that nobody told her that I was there. I can't say that I did all that great on the interview. The manager said that they still needed to grade the test and check my references, and said that if I didn't hear from them next week to assume that I didn't get the job.

Thursday, I went to see my psychiatrist. While I was waiting, a guy came in who just would not stop talking, and the echo in the room made it worse. He didn't talk to me a whole lot, but I was already on edge, and it made trying to stay calm and reading my magazine a challenge. Somewhere deep down, I felt bad for the guy, but I really felt like ripping his throat out. As if I weren't agitated enough, my phone starts buzzing, I see that the call is from home, and I couldn't help but wonder what the fuck they wanted. My mom told me that the place I applied for last Saturday called, and she gave me the phone number that they supposedly gave her. After I saw my shrink, I called the number and got a message saying that the number was no longer in service. WTF? So I called mom back and told her that she must have read the number wrong or something. The exchange went something like this:

Me: When they called, did you actually talk to whoever called, or did the answering machine pick it up?

Mom: They called about the application.

Me: That's not what I'm asking! Did you talk to the person who called, or did they leave a message and did you get the info off the message?

Mom: I talked to them.

Me: Can you just give me the number that appeared on the Caller I.D.?

Mom: How do you do that?

Me: Do you see the arrows on the answering machine? You just push one of the arrows, and the phone numbers should come up!

So, she gave me the number, I called it after I got off the phone with her, and was eventually able to get a hold of somebody. They asked me if I could come in for an interview on Friday morning, and told them yes. I was really hoping to chill out on Friday, but this was something that had to be done.

My original plan for Friday was to do the interview, then go home and take a nap, and maybe go to a friend's place in Jeffersontown if the weather didn't suck too bad. What ended up happening instead was that I actually had to go through three interviews, and when all that was done I had to go take a drug test at an Immediate Care Center in Fern Creek. I was told that they were going to wait on the results of the background check and drug test and then decide if I was going to be hired. Fern Creek isn't very far from Jeffersontown, and way too far out to bother going home and all the way back out to J-town again, so I decided to stay in town. While I was in town, I went and got my oil changed, and browsed Barnes & Noble for a couple of hours until it was time to go to my friend's place. Since I originally figured that I was only going to Hillview and back home, I only brought one CD with me. I was determined not to listen to the radio all the way home, so I browsed Barnes & Noble in hopes that they might have a better selection than Target or Wal-Mart. While they seemed to carry more CDs from a lot of artists, I was really underwhelmed by B&N's selection. However, it was probably the first place I've been to that has had the "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" soundtrack since I started looking for it last year, and so I bought it. Yes, I could have gotten it on Amazon, but I actually enjoy physically searching for music sometimes. I stayed at my friend's place for a while, and got home before the weather got really bad.

Today, I finally got caught up on sleep. It's been nice to just chill out. Tonight's midnight movie is "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". I'd go, but the weather has been really awful. I think the worst of the storms might be over with, but my area still has flooding to contend with. Besides, I've already seen it once on the big screen, and I own it on DVD, so while it would be nice to see it on the big screen again, I don't think it's worth the trip in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment