Sunday, December 2, 2018

Peak Season Temp Job 2018

I've been working for two months, and have been so busy that I haven't had time for blogging about it, or have just been too depressed when I did have the time and didn't feel up to it. I guess I'll just call this job, "Peak Job 2018".

I wasn't sure what to think of this place during my first week. I didn't have a badge to clock in and out with until after I got off work that Thursday, and I wasn't even for sure what my department or boss was, whether I really worked for Picking/Packing or Quality. This place isn't air conditioned, and it was hot those first two days, and for my first two and a half days I felt like I was in Hell. There was also a lot of information to process. I didn't think I'd get comfortable with it, but I eventually did. One thing I wasn't prepared for after being out of work for a couple of months were the nine to ten-hour days, and coming in on weekends when we (or at least I) weren't even needed, especially since they involved getting there at 6:00am, which was two hours earlier than a regular scheduled day, or an hour earlier than an overtime day. My normal schedule was supposed to be 8:00am to 4:30pm, but our ten-hour schedule was 7:00am to 5:30pm, though most days we left at 4:30. Most annoying were the Halloween weekend and the weekend of my birthday, which I don't even feel like typing out about. Long story short, I spent most of 4:00pm Saturday afternoon to 4:00am Sunday morning in bed, only to leave work after thirty minutes on Sunday because the Picking line was completely down, and they didn't need me. I missed out on seeing The Psychedelic Furs that Saturday night because of this!

They were originally going to have us work twelve-hour days from November 21st (the day before Thanksgiving) to December 5th, but thankfully that got downgraded somewhat. I only worked five and a half hours that Wednesday. I was hoping Thanksgiving would be that slow, but it wasn't. We got to leave at 5:00, but that was still nine and a half hours, too long for a Thanksgiving if you ask me. We only worked until 5:00 on Black Friday and Saturday, and left at noon on that Sunday. We worked eleven hours on Cyber Monday and Tuesday, but things really slowed down on Wednesday, and I finally got to work regular eight hour days on Thursday and Friday. And as far as I know, I wasn't supposed to work this weekend, because nobody told me we were working, but nobody told me that we weren't working, either. There's still a little over three weeks until Christmas, so there's still time for things to pick back up.

I wouldn't mind getting hired on after Christmas, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if they didn't keep me, either. I just know that I really want to do something different this time next year, hopefully something that won't have me working on Thanksgiving or Black Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment