Saturday, November 19, 2011

I did it again.

Written Thursday:
With the Christmas season coming up, work has gone from obnoxiously bad to intolerable. On top of the usual crap, we now have to separate the "Blitz" items (stuff that they expect to sell a lot of that won't be on sale until at least Black Friday) from the stuff that does go out to the floor immediately. With as tiny as the room is, it gets really lovely in there. I'm glad that I have today off, because working those two days in a row totally drained me, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Working an hour and a half over on Wednesday certainly didn't help. One of my assistant managers mentioned to us on Wednesday to get in contact with our manager who does our scheduling if we want some extra hours since we're understaffed. Two thoughts:
  1. My employer is so cheap that they're one of the only major employers that's not hiring for the season, either for permanent or seasonal help.
  2. While I need the money, I don't think working an extra day a week there would be good for my sanity. The last time I worked five consecutive days there, I felt like slapping everybody. Besides, I've got a feeling that I'll be working over every night that I do work anyway.
Besides feeling drained, my head feels a little stopped up. I felt like doing virtually nothing today.

Written Saturday:

My head has been feeling a little congested for the past few days. Not so stuffed that I have trouble smelling anything, but still congested. It probably comes from the fact that the weather has been changing every few days. It will be mild one day, then cold the next, then mild for a couple of days, then cold for a couple of days, and so on. There is something about head congestion that seems to amplify depression, like it adds physical misery on top of mental misery. I have the weekend off, but I'll probably not go anywhere so I can try to rest this crap off. And besides, last weekend was pretty busy.

I got an interesting call on Thursday. It was from the temp agency that is hiring seasonal help for Main ex-Employer. It said that although I was previously ineligible to work for Main ex-Employer, that they were inviting me to the Job Fair they've been having anyway. My dad was the one who told me about the message, I got the impression that he was hinting that I should check it out, though he has discouraged me from leaving a job until I got a permanent job elsewhere. I went ahead and went to the job fair, and I have orientation on Monday. I decided to make Friday night my last night at Mega Lo Mart. I figured there was no point in staying there since the schedules for both places overlap, but I also couldn't stand it there any longer. (Let the boycott begin!) I'd rather work 50+ hours at Main ex-Employer than work 32 hours at Mega Lo Mart. I doubt that Main ex-Employer will keep me after Christmas, but I'm hoping that the temp agency will have work for me elsewhere. I can't help but think that I'm making a mistake, but it's not the biggest mistake I've ever made, nor will it be the last. My parents aren't too thrilled about it, but they weren't too thrilled about me not putting in many applications while I was working at Mega Lo Mart either. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Unless I can get a position like the one I had when I got laid off, I think I've gone about as far as I can with the general labor thing. Must work on getting into school next year.

Generic Dayquil/Nyquil has really helped with the symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment