Monday, June 20, 2011

A surprise Sunday off

Saturday night was one of those horrible Two Truck nights, and to make matters worse, we were slightly understaffed. But anyway, I decided to check my schedule during lunch, and was relieved to find that I had next Saturday off. (Just a reminder, I had put in some Time Off Requests for all the Midnight Movie Saturdays in June and July, as well as Sunday the 19th for a private screening of a friend's movie.) When I finally clocked out for the night at around 1:45-ish, I felt compelled to check the schedule again, and realized that I actually did have Sunday off after all, so I was going to get to go to the screening.

My original plan for Sunday was to not leave until about an hour or so before the movie was scheduled to start, and I'd try to get a lot done at home. You know, stuff like blogging. I knew that wasn't going to happen when my mom asked me if I could go to town to get some food, plus someone on Facebook had mentioned that a Rockabilly band was playing at Willow Park, so I figured that would be something to do before the movie, and why not, seeing as this would probably be my only Sunday off until who-knows-when. With the exception of showering and shaving, I got absolutely nothing accomplished.

When I got home from getting the food, I saw some silly puppy dogs run up the driveway. They followed me to the front door, but I managed to get in without letting them in. My dad, who had been in his garage, accidentally let them in when he came in. Getting them out was a pain, and I think the cats were traumatized, but I found it totally hilarious.

The Sunday Summer concerts at Willow Park are usually a good time. They usually draw a good crowd, but it disappoints me that I don't see more people that I know at these things. After all, if you have a "normal" work schedule, it's a good way to spend the day before you go back to work on Monday. It's still kind of fun to see people dancing, or kids playing around. The vast majority of attendees are older folks and young families. Seeing the young families, I couldn't help but think that my parents never did anything fun with live music like that when I was growing up. Seeing the older folks, I thought that I hope I can find somebody to grow old with, and who'll go out to fun stuff like that with me when we get old.

I got to the theater really early, and saw somebody I knew from the Depression/Bipolar support group, he was going in to see 13 Assassins. If I remember correctly, he had asked me what I knew about it, and I mentioned that a friend of mine seemed to like it, and somewhere along the way it was mentioned that it was foreign, and when him and his friend realized that they might actually have to read subtitles, he was like, "I can't read subtitles", and then I guess they went to see if they could get their money back or see something else. They did come back in and ask me what I knew about the other movies showing, to which I knew little since I had no interest in the other movies that were showing. But them saying that they couldn't read subtitles pissed me off to no end. I never got to figure out if he meant he literally couldn't read subtitles, since he may have some mental issue with reading or something that I don't know about, or that he just didn't want to read them. As a hardcore movie geek, I really have a problem with people who don't like subtitles, or have some other idiosyncrasy like not liking Black & White movies.

All in all, it was an interesting day. What I did find disappointing though was that today was the first time I had seen a lot of people in a long time, yet I didn't get to talk to them near as much as I would've liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment