Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hammer Smashed Nuts

Monday night actually wasn't too bad. We only had one truck, and were done and gone by 1:00. I probably wouldn't mind working there if I had more nights like Sunday and Monday.

Tuesday was almost as bad as Saturday. Two trailers of mostly loose freight. It's so much crap that we basically run out of room to stack it down before we're even half done. One of the two biggest obstacles was how one of the trailers had pallets in the front, then a lot of loose freight, then some pallets, and then some more loose freight in the back. The pallets from the second trailer were moved into the empty first trailer. While we were unloading the second trailer, a truck driver came by who was wanting to pick up the first trailer. Somebody ended up having to take the palletized freight out of the first trailer, and move it somewhere so the god damned truck driver could take the trailer. We're supposed to have the trucks unloaded by 8:00, but we also can't go to lunch any later than 8:59, so when we went to lunch we weren't even near done. After lunch, a bunch of us went ahead and took the stuff out to the floor, I did so because there wasn't anywhere to stack the freight down. I was so pissed off by then that I was about ready to smash people in the face, maybe even in the nuts. I think a couple of guys left between 1:00 and 1:30. At around 2:00, almost everything was done, and the two of us who were left didn't really know what stuff needed to be taken out and what didn't. I was like, "Fuck it", and we both left. The worst part of all this is that they seem to screw us the most on the days when our Zone Manager is off. He's a hard worker, and not annoying like some of the other people who've come in to supervise us when he's not there.

Pretty late on Tuesday night at work, one of my coworkers was told, and then told me, that we were expected to be on top of our game from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave. Seriously? I had been at it for five nights in a row, and my balls had been sufficiently busted by lunch time, there's no way I'm going to be at the top of my game on a night like that.

Also on Tuesday, I put in some time off requests for the nights that my favorite theater has their midnight movies so I can maybe have some work-life balance. I really miss the midnight movies. 

Today has been a pretty good day off. I did a few chores (laundry, bathroom cleaning, resume updating) and finally shaved, but it's still been pretty chill for the most part. I don't seem to have that funk that I've been feeling for a while, either. The funk wasn't just something that happened on my work days, I was also feeling it on my two days off last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment