Monday, March 7, 2011

So much for cutting back.

I ended up going out on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. On Friday, I went to my favorite theater to see "Cedar Rapids". I had plans later on to go see a friend's boyfriend's band called Rockaway Drive. There was plenty of time to kill between the movie and the show, so I went to my favorite coffee shop. The club I went to was a place called Phoenix Hill Tavern. It's a really big place where multiple bands can play at the same time, usually Hard Rock/Modern Rock cover bands in the two main rooms, the downstairs "Saloon" and the upstairs "Roof Garden". The Saloon is also where touring bands play. There's also the small-ish "Tap Room" where bands that usually don't fit the Hard Rock/Modern Rock thing usually play, a karaoke room, and the outdoor patio that usually has dance music, and is the only place where people can smoke. The venue itself is nice, but I don't really care for the clientele, which are mostly male douchebags of varying kinds, and their female equivalents of which I don't really have a name for, except maybe "WOO Girls." While I really did want to see Rockaway Drive, I wouldn't have gone if it hadn't been for the fact that there was no cover before 9:00. Or at least there was no cover as long as you weren't there to see Taproot, who I don't like and wouldn't have paid to see anyway. The Original Rock Showcase, where Rockaway Drive were playing, was up in the Roof Garden. They were the first band up. I really liked them, they play really old school Heavy Metal, it would probably be fair to say they were along the lines of bands like Judas Priest, Accept, or Krokus. All the other bands I heard in the Original Rock Showcase were more modern style Metal. I didn't like those bands near as much. I'm really fickle when it comes to modern Metal, probably because something that seems fresh and exciting one year will sound old and stale to me just a couple of years later. In fact, some of my more recent favorite Metal bands are bands that remind me of older Metal, like The Sword or Dead Child, and while I haven't heard a lot from Three Inches Of Blood, I've liked what little I've heard. That's a far cry from where my mind was in the early to mid-1990s, when I thought old school Heavy Metal was just as lame as the Hair Bands and would've been more into the Modern stuff. Anyway, I found out that night that King Sonic was playing in the Tap Room. Before they started, I told my friend from King Sonic about my current work situation, and he said, "You ought to get some whores and start pimpin'!" I was like, "Heh, might as well!" I ended up watching more of King Sonic than from the bands in the Original Rock Showcase.

On Saturday, I went to my favorite record store to see some Doom Metal bands. The store recently started hosting shows after their normal hours, this was the first one that I've gotten to check out. The headliner was a band called THOU, who I found out were from Baton Rouge. The other two bands were local-ish. While I enjoyed the show, I was getting kind of antsy because a bunch of people I know were gathered at one of my favorite pizza places, and I really wanted to go there. I really did want to see THOU, but this other place was calling my name, so I left early and went there. :) I had a really good time. I figure if I'm lucky, I'll get to see THOU the next time I'm in Baton Rouge to visit my brother.

On Sunday, I went to a bar to watch some movies. :) They showed "Ichi The Killer" and "Vamp".

No comments:

Post a Comment