Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sports rivalries

This might not surprise you since I hardly talk about it, but I'm not a huge sports fan. I've got too many other things going on to get into it full time. The only purpose it serves for me is to delay the start of TV shows, which pisses me off. If I do watch sports, it's usually not until the post-season. This is especially true with the NFL. I hate the start of the NFL pre-season because it marks the beginning of the end of the year, but I kind of enjoy the Super Bowl because it reminds me that Spring is around the corner. I hate the beginning of basketball season because it reminds me that Winter is getting ready to start, but love the college conference and NCAA tournaments because they remind me that Spring is here, or at least really close. For some reason, I just can't get into the NBA, even when I intend to keep up with former UK players.

I grew up a blue-bleeding Kentucky fan, and watched the games whenever I could back in the 1980s/90s. And being a blue-bleeding UK fan, I hated the Louisville Cardinals. I intended to follow the Cats when I moved to Austin, but was evidently not determined enough. Even though I adopted the Texas Longhorns, any interest I had in sports totally waned. When I moved back to Kentucky, I still had virtually no interest in sports. When I joined Louisville Mojo, I gained a lot of friends who were UL fans, plus I grew to appreciate the city, so I became neutral between UK and UL. People can probably accuse me of being too chicken to argue about it, but it's more like I don't care enough, and actually hope to see them both do well. It's more fun to stand back and watch them argue than it is for me to join in the arguing. I'm confident enough in my knowledge of music to argue with just about anybody on that subject, but I'll leave the arguing about sports to the people who actually follow it. But while I'm neutral between UK and UL, I'm far from neutral when it comes to Texas and their rivals, probably because I love the city of Austin so much more than I do the state of Kentucky, the city of Louisville, or even the rest of the state of Texas. Then I'm like, "Hook 'em Horns! Rip their goddamn heads off!" While UT's basketball team has been good the past few years, it seems like the rare times that I actually see scores from their games are the times when they lose.

I've realized recently that I actually have five favorite college teams.
1.Kentucky
2.Louisville
3.Texas
4.LSU (Because my brother goes to grad school there)
5.Whoever plays Texas A&M

I always hope to see Texas play UK or UL in the NCAA tournament, but it has yet to happen. I'd root for Texas since it hasn't been until the past ten years or so that they've become a basketball powerhouse. My mom and dad would root for UK or UL. Whenever Texas plays an SEC team, mom and dad root for the SEC team because they're SEC-centric.

The only NFL team I even care about anymore are the New Orleans Saints. I've only been to New Orleans once, but I loved it and adopted it. Even when they lose, I can usually take pride in the fact that the city of the team they lost to probably isn't as cool as NOLA. It's also nice to see the team come up after years of being "The 'Aint's" and after Katrina. Since the Saints didn't make it to the Super Bowl, I originally didn't care who won. It wasn't until I went to a SB party that I took a side. Packers fans were far outnumbered at the party, so I ended up rooting for the Packers, because that's how I roll. There was one Steelers fan that was so annoying that him alone probably would've drove me to the Packers even if Packer fans were the majority. I was really glad that the Packers won.

This will probably be my only sports-related post ever. Or at least until next year. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment