Sunday, May 15, 2011

Another nightmare week at work.

I worked Wednesday through Saturday this past week, each night seemed to be worse than the last.

With the exception of dealing with Psycho Bitch and Miss Congeniality, Wednesday wasn't all that horrible. The store was prepping for their inventory count, and we couldn't take anything off the trucks until the inventory was done. So, we got to do other stuff, and got to leave a little early.

My normal work hours are 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. Due to the inventory thing on Thursday, I was scheduled for 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. instead. I got to leave at 3:15, and got home around 3:45. I'm usually in bed by that time. Oh, and we had two trucks to do. We normally do one, and only occasionally do two, but we made pretty good time for having two trucks. But I didn't sleep good at all, and wasn't fully recovered when I got up on Friday. Again, we had two trucks. I think we finished by 11:45. By the time all was said and done, I could barely walk.

I slept better on Saturday morning, but wasn't really feeling ready to get out of bed when the time came to get up. We had two freakin' trucks for the third night in a row! Even worse, we were shy a few people, so we had to get a lot of outside help. The only upside was that neither Psycho Bitch nor Miss Congeniality were there. When we have two trucks, we normally have the gist of the trucks done by lunch, but I think it was 11:00 before the trucks were finally unloaded. I was so pissed off that I had thought about leaving at 11:00 to go the Baxter Avenue Theater's midnight showing of  "Mommie Dearest", but I somehow remained rational (?) enough to realize that no matter how much I hated working there, that walking off the job to see a movie wasn't worth facing the wrath of my dad in the morning. I got off just after 2:00.

Last week, I had issues with dizziness. This week, I had a stopped up head, possibly a sinus infection, making an already miserable week even more miserable. Despite making my Neti Pot work double time, it's gotten to the point where I can barely taste or smell anything. That really sucks, but I can't complain too much about it since my dad lost his sense of smell after his laryngectomy (throat cancer), and thus has a greatly diminished sense of taste. But anyway, I just got over some similar shit a couple of months ago, and I hope this goes away faster than last time.

Tonight, I heard a word that I dread hearing in regards to my work performance: speed. I can't remember if I've brought it up before, but for some reason I'm unable to consistently work as fast as the average person. My Auditory Processing Disorder can explain why I might be mentally slow*, but not why I'm physically slow. A manager brought up that I probably would be slow seeing as that I'm still fairly new and unfamiliar with some things, but when you get right down to it, I move slow, and I was wore the hell out, so I wasn't exactly going to be a model of speed. Not to mention I felt a little impaired due to having a stopped up head. Don't ask me how that works out.

*Don't confuse being mentally slow with being stupid. I hate when I tell people that I'm slow, then they tell me that I'm not stupid. It's like, "DUH! I know I'm not stupid! I didn't fucking say that I was stupid!" When I took a Wechsler test a couple of years ago for Vocational Rehab, the psychologist who tested me even said that while it took me longer to finish some stuff on the test than most people, that I at least got all the answers right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment